LIRR Brothers and Sisters,
We are pleased to announce new benefits for members of the IBEW Long Island Railroad. You can now enroll in Voluntary Short-Term Disability (STD) benefits along with the current Voluntary Long-Term Disability (LTD) and Life Insurance benefits. This plan is underwritten through Sun Life Financial, and all members are guaranteed approval, with no medical tests/questions required. Members can now protect up to 100% of their pre-disability income when unable to work due to an injury, surgery, or illness. Short Term Disability benefits are important because too many IBEW Railroad members become seriously injured or suffer from an illness that keeps them out of work for an extended period.
Since IBEW LIRR members are not covered by Worker’s Compensation, members must rely on the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) sickness benefit, which only pays $425 per week. Therefore, we have negotiated for Voluntary STD benefits that:
- Covers Members both on and off the job.
- When added to existing RRB Sickness and any Supplemental Sickness benefits, allow Members to collect up to 100% of their pre-disability income.
- Pays benefits for up to 1 year.
- Benefits start paying after 30 days.
- The LTD benefits allow you to extend your disability benefits for up to 5 years after the STD benefits end.
- The Life benefits allow you to get up to $200,000 of term coverage for yourself, $50,000 for your spouse and $10,000 for each child.
Members have all been mailed an enrollment packet with benefits and rates that you should be receiving this week.
Also, you can visit https://ibewrailroad.unionhub.com/enroll to enroll online or get more information. Members can also contact the Cornerstone Office at 224-770-5312 to learn more.
To take advantage of this enrollment opportunity, you need to enroll by May 15, 2023.